CHICKEN ALL’ARRABBIATA – Italian Recipe
“All’Arrabbiata” in Italian means “in an angry style”, and this one-skillet chicken dish packs a punch with a spicy sauce made from garlic, tomatoes and jalapenos.
INGREDIENTS (6 servings)
- 6 Chicken Thighs
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- Fine Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onion, diced
- 6 Whole Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 large Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tsp Jalapeno Peppers Diced
- 3 tbsp Double Concentrated Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 can Organic Tomatoes (28 oz), chopped with juices reserved
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Marjoram Sprigs, plus 1 tbsp of marjoram leaves, chopped
Preheat oven to 400F and heat oil in a large skillet.
Season chicken with salt and pepper, then cook chicken over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides, approximately 8 minutes.
Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
Reserve 2 tablespoons of cooking liquid from skillet. To liquid, add onion, garlic, red pepper, and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat until onion turns translucent, stirring frequently.
Add yellow and jalapeno peppers and cook approximately 2-3 minutes until tender.
Mix in the paste and cook an additional 3 minutes, then add wine to deglaze the pan. Let cook for about a minute, then add in tomatoes, vinegar, and marjoram sprigs. Bring to a simmer and cook approximately 3 minutes.
Place chicken in an oven-safe casserole dish and evenly pour contents of the skillet on top.
Bake for 30 minutes on a center rack, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove marjoram and discard.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and top with chopped marjoram. Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.