Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Casserole
Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Casserole Ingredients (8 Servings)
- 1 large head of cauliflower, 1 lb. total
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 10 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Set a large pot of water to boil and arrange a steamer rack over the pot.
- Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower head.
- Place the cauliflower on the steamer rack and let it steam until it’s tender, around 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl to cool.
- Once the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, use your hands to gently break the florets from the thick central stalk, keeping the cauliflower in large florets.
- Arrange the florets in a large baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the flour, salt, and pepper, and whisk until all the ingredients are well incorporated, and the mixture turns golden brown, around 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the whole milk, continually whisking, until a smooth sauce forms, around 5 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thick, whisk in additional milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Add 1 cup of the grated extra sharp cheddar cheese and whisk until melted, around 1 minute.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower, covering all the florets.
- Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and season with additional salt and pepper if desired and bake until the cauliflower is golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbling, around 30 minutes.
- Remove the Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Casserole from the oven and let it cool off before cutting and serving.
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli and hot bar menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!