A crispy golden flatbread topped with fresh tomato, provolone and drizzled with pesto sauce makes for a quick, fresh appetizer that everyone will enjoy.
Prep Time: 10 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6-8)
- 1 tsp Coarse Sicilian Sea Salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ tsp Honey
- 1 cup Warm Water, 1 tbsp reserved
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Ripe Tomato, cut crosswise into ¼-inch slices
- 2 tbsp Basil Pesto Sauce
- 4 Thin Slices of Provolone Cheese, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
In a large mixing bowl, combine water, yeast, and honey. Let stand for 5 minutes then stir in flour, salt and ¼ cup of oil. Knead until smooth and transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic and let stand in a warm location for 1-3 hours. The mixture will double in size and then collapse. Then, cover the dough and refrigerate for 8 hours.
Heat oven to 450F.
Grease a 9×13” heavy sheet pan with remaining oil.
Transfer dough to the pan and press down with your fingers to spread the dough evenly to about the width of the pan. Cover and let the dough rise for 20 minutes.
Lay tomato slices over dough, drizzle pesto sauce and then lay cheese strands on top of pesto. Season with salt and black pepper.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning the rack if necessary for even browning. Remove from the oven and cut into even slices.
Serve warm or at room temperature.