Minestra Maritata (Italian Wedding Soup)
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 5 carrots, cubed
- 3 stalks of celery, cubed
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/2 head of escarole, chopped
- 2 cups farfalle
- 4 tbs of olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup pecorino cheese, shredded
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and saute the onions for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a medium/low flame to obtain a slow boil and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, begin working on the meatballs. Next, in a big mixing bowl, add the ground turkey, garlic, egg, pecorino cheese, bread/panko crumbs, parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- Use your hands to mix all together.
- Start rolling the turkey meatballs. The meatballs grow when cooked in the soup, so make them smaller than you’d want them to be once cooked. Once done rolling them all, add them into the soup.
- Once the soup obtains the slow boil again, add in the escarole.
- Mix together and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Cook Farfalle pasta separately according to package and add when done.
- Grate extra pecorino parm on top and serve.
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli and hot bar menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!