Grilled Eggplant and Feta Cheese
Grilled Eggplant and Feta Cheese Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 large globe eggplant
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- With a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic clove and a pinch of salt to a paste.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic paste and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- Let the garlic mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl, combine the shallot with the remaining lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the olive oil, cumin, and cayenne into the garlic mixture.
- Season the mixture to taste with additional salt and cayenne if desired.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Trim the eggplant and cut it into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Brush both sides of each eggplant slice with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant slices until golden-brown grill marks form, around 4 minutes.
- Turn the eggplant slices over and grill until tender and marked on the second sides, another 4 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the grill and top them with the shallots and feta.
- Whisk the vinaigrette and drizzle it on top of the eggplant before serving.
Auguriamo un buon pranzo!
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli and hot bar menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!