Castello del Poggio – Barbera d’Asti

Castello del Poggio - Barbera d'Asti Wine
Winery: Castello del Poggio
Category: Red Wine
Type: Italian Still Wine
Region: Piedmont
Grapes: 100% Barbera
Vinification: Due to the region’s hilly landscape, 95% of the grapes are machine harvested while the remaining 5% planted on the slopes are handpicked. The grapes are then aged for eight months. After this process, it stored in stainless steel for an additional three months, followed by six months in bottle before it is released.
Color: Ruby-red with pale purplish highlights
Bouquet: Full and intense, with scents of dark fruits, rose petals, subtle earth and exotic spices
Palate: Medium-bodied; reveals juicy red fruit and powdered mocha, leading to substantial, but polished tannins; reveals lingering mineral notes on a long finish
Pairing: Pasta, Veal, Pork, Game (deer, venison, etc.), Poultry, and Aged Cheese

About the Piedmont Region:

Location: Northern Italy, West
Notable Reds: Barbera, Barolo, Dolcetto, and Nebbiolo
Notable Whites: Arneis, Cortese, Moscato, and Spumante

Native vines are abundant and were subsequently cultivated by the ancient Romans. Ancient Greeks called this area Oenotrua (meaning “land of vines”). With its close proximity, France has been a significant influence on the region, particularly Burgundy, which is evident in the varietal styles of most Piedmontese wines.

The region is located in the foothills of the Alps, bordering both France and Switzerland. Between its mountainous terrain and the Po Valley, only 30% of the land is suitable for vineyard plantings. The valley and the mountains also contribute to the area’s noted fog cover, which aids in the ripening of grapes. The region has a colder, continental winter climate, and significantly low rainfall due to the ‘rain shadow’ effect of the Alps.