Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 4-pound whole chicken, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary, minced
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lemon, cut crosswise into 8 rounds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter with the minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, and the lemon zest.
- Pat the chicken dry with clean paper towels.
- Rub half of the herb and butter mixture under the skin and the rest of the mixture over the skin.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Set the chicken breast-side-up in a roasting pan.
- Scatter the onion wedges, lemon slices, garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme sprigs, and 1/2 cup of water in the roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until the breast is firm and just beginning to brown in spots; about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn the chicken breast-side down and continue roasting until the skin is lightly browned; about 20 more minutes.
- Using tongs, turn the chicken breast-side-up again.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water to the roasting pan.
- Continue roasting the chicken until a thermometer registers 180F; about another 20 minutes.
- Tilt the chicken to drain the cavity juices into the roasting pan.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Spoon the fat out of the roasting pan and transfer the juices to a medium-sized pot.
- Over high heat, cook the juices adding the chicken broth, and pressing the lemon slices to release their juices.
- Continue cooking the sauce while scraping up any browned bits until it begins to thicken; about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lemon herb sauce from the heat.
- Carve the chicken and top it with the lemon herb sauce, as desired.
Auguriamo un buon pranzo!
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli and hot bar menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!