Pretzel Hot Dogs
Pretzel Hot Dogs (20 Servings)
- 20 beef hot dogs
- 11½ cups water
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. table salt
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ⅔ cups baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- Coarse kosher salt or pretzel salt, to taste
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine 1½ warm water, granulated sugar, table salt, and active dry yeast.
- Stir and allow the ingredients to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has risen slightly, add the all-purpose flour and melted butter to the bowl.
- Using the dough attachment for the mixer, knead the ingredients on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl, spray it with non-stick spray, and then return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rise in the oven with the light on for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Take the dough out of the oven and place it on an oiled work surface.
- Divide the dough into 20 golf ball size pieces.
- Roll each dough ball into a rope and wrap it around the full length of the hot dog.
- Pinch the ends of the dough onto themselves to prevent them from unwrapping.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush them with oil.
- In a large saucepan, bring 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil.
- One by one, place the pretzel dogs into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Using a large slotted spoon, carefully remove the pretzel hot dogs from the water and place them onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush the beaten egg yolk onto all of the pretzel hot dogs and sprinkle them with the coarse salt.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake the pretzel hot dogs until they are a golden-brown color, around 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove the pretzel hot dogs from the oven and allow them to cool before serving with your favorite dipping sauces.
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!