Spaghetti Bolognese (8 Servings)
- 2 lbs. Angus ground chuck
- 1 ½ lbs. spaghetti
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup red wine
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 28oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian mixed herbs
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook over medium heat and cook until they are softened and lightly golden; about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the ground chuck using a wooden spoon to break the beef down as it browns.
- Crumble the beef bouillon cubes overtop the ground chuck and stir well to coat the meat.
- Add the minced garlic and stir until it is well combined.
- Then add the red wine and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, oregano, Italian mixed herbs and ½ cup of water.
- Stir all the ingredients until well combined and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Put the lid on the pan and cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours; stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium and continue cooking without the lid for another 20 minutes.
In the meantime…
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Once the water begins to boil, add the spaghetti and cook it following the packaging instructions.
- Reserve a cup of the cooking water and then drain the spaghetti.
- Place the spaghetti back into the pot and add the reserved water.
- After the 20 minutes or so, try the pan of Bolognese sauce and add extra salt and pepper as needed.
- Take the pan out of the heat and set aside.
- Over high heat, add about half of the Bolognese sauce to the pot of pasta.
- Stir well until the Bolognese sauce thickens around the pasta; about 5 minutes.
- Let the Spaghetti Bolognese cool of before plating.
- Serve the Spaghetti Bolognese with the extra Bolognese sauce spooned on top.
- Garnish with parmesan if desired.
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli and hot bar menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!