Veal Stew with Bacon and Vegetables
Veal Stew with Bacon and Vegetables (6 Servings)
- 3 lb. veal stew, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 oz. thick-cut bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh marjoram, minced
- 2 1-inch wide strips orange zest
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup sweet vermouth
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 3 cups celery root, diced
- 3 cups carrot pieces, diced
- 2 tbsp. coarse-grained mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and heat the oven to 325F.
- Spread the pieces of veal on paper towels to dry for 10 to 20 minutes before browning.
- In a large, oven-proof pot, heat the oil over medium heat and cook the bacon, occasionally stirring, until it is browned; about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pieces of bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate and set it aside.
- In the same pot, heat the left-over bacon fat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Season the veal with salt and pepper and arrange it in a single layer in the pot.
- Brown the veal in the pot well; around 10 minutes.
- Once all of the veal is browned, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer the pieces of veal to a bowl and set it aside.
- Pour out all but 2 tbsp. of the fat from the pot and return it to medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and chopped carrot.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook, often stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften; around 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, marjoram, orange zest, and bay leaves and continue to cook, occasionally stirring, until fragrant; around 2 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pot and add the vermouth, stirring to dissolve any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and boil to reduce by about half; around 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and 1 ½ cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Return the veal to the pot and lower the heat to maintain a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the pot and put it in the oven.
- After 30 minutes of stewing, add the celery root and carrot pieces to the pot.
- Cover the pot with the lid and continue to cook until the veal is fork-tender; around an hour more.
- Stir in the mustard and degrease the stew by laying a clean paper towel over the surface of the stew and then quickly peeling it off.
- Repeat as necessary with more paper towels.
- Season the veal stew to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Want to see if any of your ingredients are on sale at Mario’s Meat Market and Italian Deli this week? Click here to check our Weekly Specials!
Don’t feel like cooking? Mario’s is not just a meat market. We have an extensive deli menu as well! Choose from delicious, hand-made Italian deli specialties that are sure to delight your taste buds, making you come back again and again. Browse our deli menu here!